Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

On social security,received Bill from collection agency

Customer Question

On social security,received Bill from collection agency dated 2013, 2014 ,etc.at first I ignored. Finally made call asking why am I just receiving in 2016! My belief someone screwed up and they are trying to make me pay. I , last week, got money order after speaking to agency to pay $431.00. After conversation he dropped $100.00,but I feel I'm being made to pay for a mistake made on that end (hospital).I feel I should not be paying, there mistake, they should "eat it"!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! ! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I am preparing my response to your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You should NOT be making any payment period when your income is from Social Security benefits, which are 100% exempt from garnishment for medical bills. If you have not sent the Money Order, you should not send it. You should go back where you purchased it and return it and get your money back.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.