Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Rented a house for my birthday party for three days, on the

Customer Question

Rented a house for my birthday party for three days, on the second day of the term of the contract the landlord called me and ask me to leave because, he said that he was not aware of a city ordinance that it makes illegal to rent for a short period.
As you know I did all the planning, invite people etc. question is can he evict my before the terms of the contract expires
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The simplest thing to do would be to claim that you weren't renting the house, but instead, you are paying the owner to put on the party/party planning or some other creative arrangement to avoid stating that you were actually renting the house. That should be enough to get around any short-term lease prohibition.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

But, if the owner doesn't want to try and modify the agreement into something that will work for the two of you, then the contract would be illegal, and therefore void, and you should be entitled to a refund. But, if the owner wants to let you finish this out, he/she should be able to help you come up with a way to get around the local ordinance.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

But, if the landlord foregoes all of this, and demands that you vacate, you could possibly have to leave.....but you should have grounds to recover all or part of your money.