LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

Bought new Honda and it has a vibration when being driven 60

Customer Question

Bought new Honda and it has a vibration when being driven 60 mph and faster. This is the 4th attempt to fix the problem. Does this car qualify as a lemon under CT law?
I am concerned that any future Car Fax report can or will affect the future value. Thank you!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 3 months ago.

That is frustrating-buying a new car only to find it has problems; that is when the lemon law can be very useful.

In order for the law to apply to a new car purchase, the following must be involved:

• cars which do not conform to the manufacturer’s express warranty;

• cars which have substantial defects affecting the use, safety or value of the vehicle AND

• The repairs must have been addressed during the eligibility period;

• manufacturer's defects that occurred during the first two (2) years from the original owner’s delivery date or the first 24,000 miles on the odometer (whichever period ends first).

Here is the application that must be completed:

http://www.ct.gov/dcp/lib/dcp/pdf/october2007_application_for_lemon_law.pdf

The car manufacturer will be notified and asked to submit a manufacturer’s statement and filing fee to the panel, which consists of an arbitrator and an Automotive Technical Expert. They will make a determination as to whether the defect qualifies (ie it will affect safety, value or use of the vehicle).

The panel will hold a hearing and the consumer will need to choose between an oral and a documentary hearing; the oral hearing is usually resolved quicker than a documentary hearing so many people choose that. An attorney is not required but is allowed.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.