How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David Stewart Your Own Question
David Stewart
David Stewart, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 342
Experience:  Highly experienced Consumer Protection attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
David Stewart is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have AXA Term Life Insurance, they claim it lapsed in

Customer Question

I have AXA Term Life Insurance, they claim it lapsed in April and sent a letter out for xtra money for what we don't know. We didn't see this piece of mail as we were tending to my Mom who was in hospice and passed that Month. Now they claim our policy of 35 or 36 years has lapsed and we need to do medical info questionnaire which of course we will not pass. this is so unfair let me pay to reinstate. That is all I ask. and my money is deducted from my account automatically so how whould I have known Please help me this is my familys only safety net.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  David Stewart replied 9 months ago.

Hello: my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your request. I am really sorry this has happened with your term life insurance. You should review your life insurance policy to make sure they can legally claim your policy has lapsed. Most policies will have a section that gives a grace period for you to pay the premimum and not have it lapse. You also said that the money is automatically deducted from your account. Did something happen in this instance and there was not money in the account when the payment was deducted, or did they simply not seek to take the deduction. If they chose not to deduct, I would suggest you contacting an attorney in NJ to look into your situation. Most states have laws that protect consumers in instances such as this and I would expect the insurance company can be held accountable and reinstate your policy if it is an instance where they chose not to deduct in order to discontinue the policy in hopes of avoiding a future payout. I wish you all the best, David.

If this response adequately addresses your concerns please rate the response so I may be able to get credit for my time through the site. Thanks again, David

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fine what type of Attorney takes this on
Expert:  David Stewart replied 9 months ago.

I would look for a consumer protection attorney or personal injury attorney that often handles bad faith insurance cases which it appears this would be. In this instance, I believe most attorneys will handle this on a contingency (no cost to you) because they will be able to recover their fees from the insurance company. This is a horrible practice for an insurance company to be peforming and should not be tolerated in my opinion under any circumstance, in particular yours when you were helping a loved one.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions