insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
17027240

I bought a used kia, with approximately 61000 miles, and a

Customer Question

I bought a used kia, with approximately 61000 miles, and a 100000 thousand mile warranty, at approximately 67000 miles the motor blew. It has been almost 4 weeks, and they finally determined that they would honor the warranty with a re manufactured motor...only to call me back to say they don't have one and do not re build them, so I have to settle for a used motor with a lousy one year warranty! All the while I am renting a car for transportation. What are my options?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon Matthew. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

They are in breach of contract and you do have recourse. Since they won't resolve this voluntarily to your satisfaction, you want to raise the stakes on them. Send them a certified, return receipt requested letter and demand they replace the motor to your satisfaction at their cost under the warranty. Inform them that if they do not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that if forced to file this suit, you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, they will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the fraud and/or deceptive trade practice judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!