Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I have an Home Owners policy with Auto Owners Insurance. I

Customer Question

I have an Home Owners policy with Auto Owners Insurance. I have recently discovered bat droppings and urine in my attic and need to remedy the problem. I have submitted a claim for $14,000 to remove the insulation, sanitize the area and add new insulation. They have denied the claim. what is my recourse?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

If animal infestation is a covered peril in your policy then you are entitled to make a claim and the insurance company should cover the loss.

If the company has denied a lawful claim then you have the legal right to appeal the denial. The terms of the policy are legally required to provide the procedure to appeal the denial. Follow the procedute in the policy to the letter, in term of notice and deadlines.

If the appeal is unsuccessful then you can sue for bad faith. If you prevail in a bad faith suit you may be awarded punitive damages and your attorney fees.

The first step, though, as I said, is to check the policy for an appeal to the denial of coverage.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?