Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I live in California and the company that originally

Customer Question

I live in California and the company that originally provided for my landline and FIOs sold part of their business to another communications company. My services were cut off without any cause. This was roughly more than 2 months ago (May). To make a long story short, I've spent countless hours on repeated calls with them and here's what I have to show for it:
a. lost my original phone number - here's what I mean. When I call my original number, the landline phone DOES NOT ring. The explanations given vary from the number being ported to another company (in which they asked me to call that company - horrible customer service), to someone from that company saying they still have the number but the routing configuration just needs to be corrected. The company vacillates between these 2 explanations. Never mind that there seems to be no way that both can be true.
b. I did get my FIOS (internet service) back.
c. My phone does work - meaning I can call out, and presuming I know what my "new" number is, I probably can call in. Here's the problem, the number showing on my account and billing statement is still my original number. So I don't even know what the "new" unasked for number is. So, nobody can call in - what number can they call?
The company has been beyond incompetent and has wasted my time for more than 2 months now. Many of the calls I make with them involve waiting several minutes on the phone until a representative picks up which is wrecking havoc on my schedule. I need to know what my legal options are. Please advise. Thank you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
First, have you tried calling your cell phone from your home phone to see what number comes up on caller ID. Or call a friend's cell phone and see what number comes up.
Second, if they are not responsive to fixing this issue, you can first file a complaint with the local public utilities commission for them canceling you and taking your number without your consent. If the PUC cannot resolve the matter, you actually could sue in court for breach of contract for any damages their negligence caused you to incur.