insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
17027240

A collection agency has filed suit on a credit card debt

Customer Question

A collection agency has filed suit on a credit card debt acquired by a third party. According to the affidavit the last payment made on the debt was December 17, 2008, over seven and one-half years ago. Does the 6 year statute of limitations apply or may I be liable for the debt?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 3 months ago.

Hi Ric. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

You are correct. Pursuant to Tenn. Code Ann. § 28-3-101 et. seq., the statute of limitations is 6 years for this debt. This gives you an absolute defense to this suit. It's an affirmative defense you must raise; it does not prevent the collection agency from filing the suit. These collection agencies buy these debts for pennies on the dollar and then file these suits because so many people simply pay them without being aware that there is a statute of limitations which would give them an absolute defense to any suit. Good for you for being aware of this!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!