RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as Texas lawyer representing consumers

My friend bought a toyota prius. The used car dealer

Customer Question

My friend bought a toyota prius. The used car dealer insisted that it was a prius 3 but my friend had doubts. the contract says that it s a prius 3. After buying it he went to a toyota dealer and confirmed that it was a prius 1. He went back to the used car dealer and the dealer said tough luck and there's nothing you can do. He put a stop payment on the check and left the car there. Was that appropriate and if not what should he do? He's in IL.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

He needs to go back the dealer here to try and resolve this.Stopping payment on the check is potentially a crime here in Iliinois.I understand why he did this.He needs to try and resolve this matter otherwise they may try to prosecute and also turn him to collections.

If they will not resolve he needs to gather names and information and be prepared to defend any suit for collections. He is in breach of contract but so are they if they misrepresented the vehicle here.He should try to resolve this and avoid harm to his credit.

This is a time bomb here, they likely try to prosecute him and/or turn this to collections.Normally they resell it for a lesser amount and sue him for the difference.

I hope he will take a friend and go back to dealer and try to resolve this.The friend makes a good witness here of the events.Thanks again for the chance to help today.