Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

Is it legal for a bill collector to call 5bor 6 times,a day

Customer Question

Is it legal for a bill collector to call 5bor 6 times,a day seven days,a,week in the state of Washington?
Also I rent a space in a,mobile home park in washinton state that I am trying to sell is it legal for the landlord/ manager to call my realtor and say I am past due on space,rent?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

A debt collector can call multiple times in a day. There are restrictions regarding what time they can call and they can't call and just let the phone ring.

Washington state has a debt collection law that is very similar to the federal role. You can see an article on this at

It is not legal for a debt collection agency to contact someone other than you and provide them with details of your debt. Not only is this is a violation but there are also violations for the following acts:

• The collection agency threatens to or actually does tell your employer or neighbors about the debt.

• The collection agency calls at hours the law says are "unreasonable" (9:00 p.m. - 8:00 a.m. under federal law; 9:00 p.m. –7:30 a.m. under state law).

• The collection agency threatens you with illegal action (example: threatening to take money out of your Social Security check, taking other exempt property, or threatening arrest or jail).

• The debt collector communicates with you or anyone in your household in a way that is harassing, intimidating, threatening, or embarrassing.

• The debt collector communicates with you or your spouse more than three times in one week.

• The debt collector sends you notices that deliberately look like government documents or a telegraphic or emergency message.

• The debt collector cannot ask for a postdated check in order to threaten you with criminal prosecution. The debt collector cannot deposit a postdated check before the date on the check. Also, a collector's acceptance of your postdated check violates the law unless you had three to ten business days' notice before the collector deposited the check.

If you decide you want to pursue them then the best way is by using an attorney.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.