Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I owe a 22,000 overpayment. I appealed to Social security

Customer Question

I owe a 22,000 overpayment . I appealed to Social security disability without success. Finally I negotiated to pay them back at 100$/month. I would like to still go in front of a judge to plead my case. Can I still do that?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

You need to go to your local office of Social Security Administration and complete a form to request a hearing before Administrative Law Judge ("ALJ"). You may also download the form online. However, it is better to go to your local office and complete a form for the ALJ hearing request.

Goodluck with your case,

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have the form. Can I just send it in? My concern is that I agreed to make payments. Is there any kind of rule that would prevent my from filling out the form to see a judge?

I have the form. Can I just send it in?

Response 1: Yes, you can.

My concern is that I agreed to make payments. Is there any kind of rule that would prevent my from filling out the form to see a judge?

Response 2: No, there is no such rule.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My first payment is due 8/20/16. Do I hold off on the payment if I'm filing to see a judge? I'm afraid they will penalize me in some way.

Yes, hold off on the payment.