Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience

What can I do if I am charged significantly more than the

Customer Question

What can I do if I am charged significantly more than the estimate?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Estimates, generally, must be professionally reasonable. If the contractor discovered issues along the way that were a surprise and he could not have been aware of at the time of the estimate, then a 10-20% overage might be reasonable. To challenge the estimate you will need to compare the estimate and the details of the final invoice to see why there is a variance. Next, you will need to consult with another contractor to get a professional opinion to see if that variance makes any sense. If it does, then you will likely owe the extra money. If it does not, then you will need to ask the contractor to adjust the invoice accordingly.

If this ends up in court on a breach of contract suit filed against you, then you will need to have an expert come testify on your behalf to disprove the invoice as reasonable.