Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.

I took my car for a new starter,a week later the car went on

Customer Question

i took my car for a new starter,a week later the car went on fire in my drive way eletrical fire, are they responsible for the damage
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Yes, if you can show proximate causation between the fire and, either, a defect in the starter itself or its installation, the shop and manufacturer would be liable formthe loss of the car. You would need to have an expert mechanic testify that the cause of the fire was the starter.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was non conclusive due to everything melted.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. The burden of proof is on you, as plaintiff. You can file and see if the court will find for you based upon circumstantial evidence. It is certainly suspicious. You may be able to leverage a settlement.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
If the car is still available you may want to get a second opinion on the cause. Especially, if the first opinion came from the original shop.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?