Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I leased a vehicle never missed any payments and no late

Customer Question

I leased a vehicle never missed any payments and no late payments. The lease was up in March 2016. Went to turn in the car and they said they would not take it unless I had an appointment. The car could only be turned in mon-fri 8am-1pm when I take work.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: I tried 2 other times to turn in the car to the dealer. No Saturday appts. I called the Honda leasing company told them there is a closer dealership 15 min from me. Can I drop it there. Was told No had to go to the original dealership. They came and reposed the vehicle from my home. And are now saying I was behind on payments when I never was and the car sat in my garage for 3 months when I kept trying to turn it in on the wknd but was repeatedly told I needed an appt and could only turn it in during the week
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: California and car was 2013 or 14 lease. Have not spoken to a lawyer.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question about the situation you have described that I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no late payments and no missed payments on the leased vehicle I kept trying to turn i had asked them to come pick it up they said no I asked could someone else return the car and no. What are my options at this point. They now repossessed the vehicle and are trying to say I was late on payments and I have a balance I owe for auctioning the car scheduled for August 8

Thank you for your follow up.

I am afraid I won't be able to further answer your question, I will opt-out of your question at no charge to you and will open your question up to the other professionals.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you were to turn in the car in March of 2016 when the lease ended or go in and make arrangements to purchase out the lease, but did not get to do so, then they have the right to pick up the car because the lease was ended. You can walk away from the lease now, since your lease ended or you can negotiate with them to pay off what is due on the lease to buy it out.
If they refuse to negotiate a deal with you to buy out the lease, you would need to go to court against them for refusing to take the car in at the end of the lease and seek to fight them over any penalties and charges they try to impose for not turning the car back over in March when the lease ended and you would need to prove you made attempts to do so and they made it impossible for you to turn it in, but that is all you can do to fight them over this since the lease ended.