KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.
9540344

I'm talking with Prone CFO of the American Sweepstakes

Customer Question

I'm talking with Edward Prone CFO of the American Sweepstakes Network. He told me I was a 2nd place winner of $525K. I mailed 1 % or $5250 to an address in Costa Rica. As soon as they received the money, I was contacted by Timothy McPherson at Nashville International Airport, supposedly a US Customs Agent, telling me he had in his possession a registration bond for $525K that did not match two checks, one for $5.25 million and a 1% check for $52,500. I called Edward Prone. He said I had been upgraded to 1st place winner and that 60% of the $52,500 had been covered and I needed to come up with the remaining 40% or $18,900. Please advise!
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Tennessee and no
JA: Do you have a copy of the warranty or receipt?
Customer: No paperwork
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was scammed just before contacting Edward Prone thinking if a counterfeit company had contacted me, then there must be a real company of he same name. I was told by Edward Prone that their computers had been hacked. I gave him my name and he came back with my address telling me I actually was a winner.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to say but this is a scam. Do NOT send any more money. You are not going to receive a penny and these people will keep asking you to send money, until you have nothing left. Nobody is just going to give you money and if you won, they simply would need to pay you and issue a check. Do not be fooled.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!