Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

How does one go about using the CALIFORNIA PUBLIC RECORDS

Customer Question

How does one go about using the CALIFORNIA PUBLIC RECORDS ACT to request specific information, (especially dates,) regarding a residential public health and code violation complaint lodged in San Luis Obispo County?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to make a written request to the agency where the records are kept stating that you are requesting the information pursuant to the CA Public Records Act 6250 et seq. and you would specify the information you are seeking from them. They do not have to provide you information on any open investigations, only on closed/completed investigations. If the matter is before the court, you can go to the clerk of the court's office and get a copy of the court records as well.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My basic question is where would these particular records be kept. I've supplied both the kind of complaint ( and the city county and state),... I just don't know what specific department I should contact to make my request.
Thank you for your reply.
The Health Department would have records to public health complaints. If not, the only other place would be the local housing department.