Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I'v been contacted supposably from the Consumer Protection

Customer Question

Hello, this is Delila Cisneros, and I'v been contacted supposably from the Consumer Protection Bureau, From a Lady names ***** *****, saying that they have been looking for me for the past year beaucuse I have won $525,000.00 for a secondary prize. Then I called to verify my information with the American Sweepstakes Network then to call back ***** ***** so she can activate the cashiers check but there asking me for 1% percent for insurance and that will also be refunded. How can I check if this is real? Where can I go?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.

This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".

Just remember:
1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.
2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.
3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check.

4. No government agency is involved in distributing sweepstakes prizes.

Do not send any money or otherwise respond. They are trying to steal from you.

Here is an online warning from the FTC:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scams

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.