Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I just got off the phone from a gentleman (said his name is

Customer Question

I just got off the phone from a gentleman (said his name is***** with the United States Government Accountability Ofiice) stating that I had won 2.5 million $$$ and that I could call to verify to the American Sweepstakes Network Assn, Inc. out of Las Vegas, NV(###) ###-#### He called me from(###) ###-#### He said that I would have to send them $$ for insurance (did not say how much) and that I would need to call American Sweepstakes Network in Las Vegas to release this winnings. I should change my phone # to an unpublished # because my name has been sold to many people all over the world. TMy claim # is KS-38719-FCC. Fraud right?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, it just happened minutes ago
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: A couple of months ago, I received a letter + a check in the mail $6,000. stating that I had won $2.2 million as a second prize. I was to call this number (*Canadian) as soon as the check arrived. I did so, I was instructed to place that check into the bank, then call back. I did that. The check was placed on a 7 day hold. They weren't happy about that. As soon as I did some checking, Publishers Clearing House *(just one of the names listed) said on line that it was a scam. At the same time I received notice that bank y sent the check back as no funds--- the next thing they did was close down both of my accounts there. UGH. What a mess. I didn't feel that I did anything - - but was treated as if I was the con artist.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.

It is a scam. You should not correspond with him or send him any money.

You can ignore it, or report it to local authorities for further investigation.

Kindly rate me positively, and if I may clarify anything reply back and let me know!