Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Over a US webpage i have booked a freelancer in india to

Customer Question

hello, over a US webpage i have booked a freelancer in india to build a webpage for me, unfortunately the result is disappointing, webpage is not running nor is the freelancer able to fix it, the web page was for a start-up contest within a large insurance company, now the entry deadline has been missed as well, i would like to get my money back, as i received something that is not working. the web page that has provided the freelancer is not willing to provide any further support, while i feel that they are liable too.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

You have to request for a refund through the site that recommended him to you. If you did not hire the freelancer from any website, then you are probably out of luck because it would be cost prohibitive to pursue the freelancer in India--to go to India to file lawsuit against the freelancer for the substandard job.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, as written I hired him through the us web page, the web page is refusing any refund and saying I have to sort it out with the freelancer, is there no liability for in this case ?

Thank you for the information. However, your previous post did not provide information regarding the U.S. "web page" that you hired the freelancer from. Hence, my response.

Yes, the website has responsibilities to you unless the terms of service clearly disclaim any liability for the freelancer's action or omission. So, you need to review the website's terms of service. If there is no disclaimer, then you can file lawsuit against the website for your loss.