Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.

We called the shop that worked on my vehicle. The mechanic

Customer Question

We called the shop that worked on my vehicle. The mechanic said it was ready to be picked up and that it had been broken into over the weekend. I asked him what he is planning to do about it and he said it was not his responsibility because the thief broke the window because my husband had locked the doors when had stopped by on Saturday and that the van should've been left unlocked. As far as I know, the break in was not even reported and we only found out because we called him. What recourse do we have?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

While your car is in the care of the shop it is their responsibility, as the bailee, to make sure it is secure. In fact, they should have insurance for that sort of peril.

If they refuse to repair the damage and compensate you for any items stolen then you can file suit against them.

If the claim does not exceed $6000 you can file in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the shop owner required to make a police report or am I?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

The shop owner SHOULD make a report, but if they will not then you must do so.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.