Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

I am not sure if this is a real estate attorney question,

Customer Question

I am not sure if this is a real estate attorney question, but I am hoping you will tell me. My fiancé just closed on a condo. To do it, he had to pay off a $7,000 credit card bill. For some reason, the settlement company told him the best way to do it was for him to give them the money, and they would pay the credit card company. He gave them the money.
That was 6 months ago. For some reason, they keep sending a check to the credit card company (as in MAILING) and the checks keep getting returned.
Meanwhile, his credit is being affected. Can you tell me what steps we should take?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

File a dispute with the credit reporting agency [CRA] and let them know that you have tried to pay off the debt but the CC company keeps returning the check and you want to dispute the negative credit information now. The CRA should them get in touch with the CC company to help you get this straightened out. Here is a sample letter.