KJLLAW
KJLLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

We sold a car two years ago, signed the title over to the

Customer Question

We sold a car two years ago, signed the title over to the buyer. The buyer never filed the title with the courthouse and Bennett changed the license. The buyer abandoned the car and the city towed the car to it's impound lot. We now get a letter starting the car is still in our name and we must pay the impound fees and charges or face getting a citation. We have no record of who purchased the car. Do we have any legal recourse in this matter do we are not liable to pay these fees?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 10 months ago.
Good morning. In order to fight the fees and citation you would have to show some proof that at the time if towing the car was transferred to another person. Anything would help even a cancelled check, and insurance cancellation. That could be proof to establish the transfer. However, If you don't have any proof they will not remove the charges and then legally, they don't know who was the last owner, all they have is the record of registration. Sorry for the bad news, but I don't see a legal way out unless you have some proof.
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 10 months ago.
If you have any other questions, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking.
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 10 months ago.
If you have any other questions just ask, if not please rate the question.
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 10 months ago.

If you have any other question, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you do not rate the question I will not get paid for assisting you.

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 10 months ago.