Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  Practice of law for 20 years
10707909

My car was repossessed I have called them 3 times finally

Customer Question

My car was repossessed I have called them 3 times finally got a answer and was told that my car was already on the lot to be sold for 2500 i only owed 945.00 plus whatever late fees they charge I have not got anything from them sense my car was picked up
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: AL 2000 CHEVY TAHOE
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: NOT THAT I CAN THINK OF OTHER THAN THIS LADY THAT I TALK TO WAS OUT OF THE OFFICES FOR MONTHS SO THERE FOR I HAD TOLD THE OTHER CSR THAT I LOST MY JOB BUT I WAS DOING THE BEST I COULD TO KEEP IT PAID I MISSED THE PAYMENT IN MAY AND HE PUT A REPO OUT ON IT ON JUNE 1
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Of course, anytime there is a missed payment, you are in default of the contract. When that happens a repossession may occur. Under Alabama law, a lender must mail all borrowers of a repossessed vehicle a notice stating that you have the right to retrieve (redeem) your vehicle once you have satisfied all of the outstanding issues related to the vehicle repossession.

The notice from the Alabama repo company will inform you of when you must redeem your repossessed vehicle by before it is to be sold at auction. You may be required by the lender to pay off the entire loan amount of the repossessed vehicle before getting the vehicle back.

Was that process followed?

If that process was not followed then I suggest you can contact the Alabama Attorney General Consumer Protection and file a complaint explaining that the law was not followed. If the process of the law was followed then, unfortunately, there is no recourse for you.