LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  I have more than 25 years experience in the legal profession.

A friend loaned me the use of her vehicle. I drove it on 3

Customer Question

A friend loaned me the use of her vehicle. I drove it on 3 occasions approx 20 miles each time. 3 weeks after the vehicle was returned to her, and in constant use by the owner it broke down, the owner of the vehicle is claiming I'm responsible for half of the repair costs as I had use of her vehicle. She has issued a small claims for 50% of repair Bill. And none or the repairs were as a result of my actions. They are mostly for wear and tear items, like worn engine mounts, and new water pump. And for the associated costs of replacement.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The owner of the car is grasping at straws and you are no way legally liable for the repair expenses of her vehicle. All of the things that you mention are things that you can't do damage to in a few thousand miles, much less 60 miles. Your friend is simply trying to bully you into giving her something that she is not untitled to from you.

You have no legal obligation to pay for her car repairs and she doesn't have a leg to stand on in court. Even if the car had broken down while you were using it, you would not have been responsible for any portion of the repairs.

You don't owe your friend a thing.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?