Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.

I bought a used car from a used car company for 4000 dollars

Customer Question

I bought a used car from a used car company for 4000 dollars i paid it off and received my title but there is still a lien on it. When i call the dealer they said they bought it out from the original owner and he is out of tje country. I have sold the car but the new owner cant get his tags and title because of the lien. How can i obtain a lien release if the company is sold?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Maryland. 2002
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No i didnt think i needed to
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No. I paid the car off a year ago
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

It is the dealer and seller's responsibility to provide clear and merchantable title, unless otherwise stated in the sale contract.

If they do not pay off the lien for you immediately then you will have to sue them in small claims court for breach of contract. If this is going to put you in breach with your buyer then you may need to pay it off to provide clear title and then sue your seller/dealer for reimbursement.

Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.