Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I red an electrician to install a breaker box, and a ground

Customer Question

I hired an electrician to install a breaker box, and a ground pipe outside. He itemized the cost printed it out and handed it to me before he began working. After being at my home for 2 days he never showed again.
1 year 1/2 later he started calling me and showed up at my house unannounced saying he would like to be payed for the work he did. When asked why he never showed up to finish the work over a year ago, he said " I started another Job that was more important then residential work ." So he has a commercial license, not residential we never signed a contract. He left. He also left me with no power to my garage and a clothes chute that he tore out without my permission. He now filed a claim in court to be paid,I was never sent a final bill
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 5 months ago.

You want to answer the complaint denying the claims. Obviously, he cannot collect, since he was paid what was agreed and he has no contractual basis years later to get more. The court will dismiss. You can go on the offensive too, by adding counterclaim to your answer seeking damages from him for the bad work done and expenses you incurred including money back you paid.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did not pay him anything he started the work and after the 2nd day of work never returned . Until now , more then a year later. He also never pulled a permit, said if I wanted one I would have to pull it. He started another job that's why he never came back .

You have a defense of waiver, breach of contract, unclean hands.

You can answer with such defenses, or move to dismiss.

His failure to perform, leaving the job, waiting so long each alone is a defense - and together are a very good response to the baseless complaint.

Kindly rate the answer as excellent.