TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I have a business issue. I ask one of my friend to purchase

Customer Question

I have a business issue. I ask one of my friend to purchase a vehicle under his name and that all he did. But I or my company put down the down payment, paying note, and the vehicle insurance. Now he want the vehicle to start his own venture. Can he do that? Even though I have all the paperwork such as paying all the bills on the vehicle.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If your friend is the owner of the vehicle, then he has the right to use the vehicle for any purpose that he wants. However, if you have an agreement that you have the right to sue the vehicle for your own purposes, then you could sue him for breach of contract. You'd need to prove that such an agreement exists. It would probably seem clear to a judge that there is some sort of agreement, otherwise you wouldn't pay for the note and insurance. But it's not clear whether your friend was entitled (under your agreement) to cancel at any time, and begin paying for the note and insurance himself. It does sound like you may have a good case, however, considering you made the down payment as well.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!