Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

As to my first question: While following your advise to seek

Customer Question

As a follow up to my first question:
While following your advise to seek relief from this student loan, I am continuing to try to work with Pioneer Credit Company to make the payments until other arrangements have been made.
I had been told that IRS has a cap on the total amount of out of pocket medical costs that can be added into a monthly budget - $120 and that was the highest amount they could use when calculating a monthly repayment amount . I checked with the IRS and found that information is not true - the amount can be based on actual out of pocket medical payments.Today I received a call from Pioneer stating they are willing to drop the monthly repayment to about nothing but they want proof of my monthly out of pocket medical payments. I started to put things together to email to them when HIPAA came to mind. If I send them my medical bills/prescription information, etc., I am allowing them to have knowledge of when I have been in the hospital, the doctors I have seen, the medication I take ..... pretty well all my personal/private medical information.
Is it "legal" for them to even ask me for this information?
I am looking forward to your answer.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

It isn't illegal for them to ask. HIPAA does make certain things illegal but if it isn't covered in the statute then it isn't illegal and this one isn't covered in the statute.

In addition, only certain types of entities are covered by HIPAA. They are "medical providers", insurers, and employers. Debt collectors aren't covered by HIPAA.