Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

If I own a car business and a thief I know comes to my place

Customer Question

if I own a car business and a thief I know comes to my place of business and sales a car
that he has taken on consignment and sales it on my letter head at my business and i knew nothing about it , am i responsible for the person he sold the car to.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If someone is fraudulently claiming they are selling on your behalf and they were not doing so, then NO you are not liable for the sale to the person he sold the car to. You would have to prove that this person acted without your authorization and committed fraud.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The state is fl. Even if this man was helping once in a while not being paid. He sold this car he took on consignment at my business and kept the money. He sold this car twice when he never had the title and didn't own it. We never saw the car and knew nothing about it.
Thank you for your reply.
If this individual was not your employee and the car never came through you and he misrepresented his association with your business, then you are not liable, he is the one who is liable to the buyer.