Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

AC Company came out and charged me $1000.00 to replace part

Customer Question

AC Company came out and charged me $1000.00 to replace part of my Air Conditioner to fix a problem. Still not Air Conditioning so I had a different company come out and they say that they didn't do the repair properly. I'd like to cancel the payment through my credit card, but not sure of the ramifications
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: July 4th 2016 it was reported, and I have not talked to a lawyer
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: They did the repair yesterday, replaced a part and the AC still doesn't work.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you control the original AC repair company about this issue?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My home warranty company contacted them.

Thank you for your follow up.

Was the repair covered by the home warranty?

Did you home warranty provide you with this AC repair company?

Please provide me with more details so I can better understand your situation.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
American Home Shield sent this AC company out to repair my AC. AHS covered $750 and I covered $1000 out of pocket for the repairs. They came out and performed the repair and charged me $1000 for it. This was yesterday and I still don't have a working AC. I have a different AC company working the problem now.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, generally, before any credit charges for the replaced AC part can be disputed with the credit card company, the original AC repair company would have to be properly notified and would have to be given reasonable chance to fix the problem (reasonable time can be 1-3 days from the time the issue was reported to the AC company).

So, generally, if the company was not given an opportunity to resolve the issue and the charge is disputed with the credit card company and even if home owner wins the dispute, the AC company will be able to pursue legal action for any disputed amount that home owner paid for with the credit card.

I wish you the best of luck!

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, because CT is an "at will" employment state, unless employee has a written employment agreement which guarantees employment for a specific time period, in Connecticut, private-sector employers and employees generally have the right to terminate employment “at-will,” that is, whenever either party wishes, without giving a reason.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.