Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Is there a law requiring show companies to not discriminate

Customer Question

Is there a law requiring show companies to not discriminate against people with larger feet and have to offer all sizes? I have spent my entire adulthood with foot pain, because companies cut off half sizes after 9. Therefore I can be in pain wearing a 10 because my types are squished or I be in pain in an 11 because the shoe is loose. OR I can wear multiple pair's of socks so the 11 fits without flopping which is real awesome in the summer!! Not! People are larger these days and I'm so tired of always having to wear shoes that don't fit!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I have a terrible time finding clothes that fit properly, so I understand how frustrating this can be.

There is unfortunately no law that protects people from discrimination based on their foot size. Anti-discrimination laws are focused on correcting discrimination based on a person's race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and things like that. Companies are generally free to make the products they choose as long as they're not discriminating. That means there's no lawsuit that would allow you to collect damages or force a company to make shoes in your size.

People tend to have a LOT more options these days for shopping with the internet. Some manufacturers could have your size available online even if you can't find it in your local store. Sometimes it takes a bit of digging around, but hopefully, you can find a place that will offer half sizes or even custom made shoes at a reasonable price. I know it's better to be able to try things on in person, but it might be worth a shot. I found 416 styles that come in a size 10.5 at this site.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?