MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

I received a summons and complaint from ADT which i had back

Customer Question

I received a summons and complaint from ADT which i had back in 2011. At the time i was not aware that I had physically signed my name to a three year contract. Nor was this advised to me by the seller of the services. Not specifically knowing I had a of a bonding contract, I added a security system as a part of a bundle with my cable services which I have had since 2011.
I am being sued by ADT for $1200 and I never recall having them even set up their services for security in my phone. Their services were never installed and never used.
Is there anything that I can do. I never used their service, was never connected to it.
Please advise what i can do.
Ellen Oliphant (###) ###-####
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes. You can use those facts as a defense in the lawsuit that ADT has brought. You can basically counterclaim them (when a defendant makes a claim against the plaintiff) for unjust enrichment. The argument is that you never signed the contract as well as never received the services you were allegedly supposed to pay for so technically ADT was in breach and that relieved you of the obligation to pay.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.