Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues

I'm a waitress at a strip club in Dallas Texas. The club

Customer Question

I'm a waitress at a strip club in Dallas Texas. The club that I work it requires you to get a copy of the credit card , when you run the tap and the ID of the customer. The customer used two card , I only have a scan of one card. My club is telling me that I have to pay for the tab in which the credit card photocopy it wasn't taken. There wasn't a chargeback , the card was approved and the customer sign for it and it was a legible's signature that matches the one on his ID. Can the club legally make me pay for the tab that I didn't get a copy of the credit card on , If the customer doesn't do a chargeback ?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. No, an employer in Texas may not make you pay the tab in the situation you described. There are very few situations in which an employer can make deductions (which would include making the employee pay) out of the employee's wages. Those are limited, in general, to deductions required by law, for the benefit of the employee, or those previously agreed to in writing. You can see a complete discussion of the law in Texas, and also look at the form the employer can have an employee sign for deductions (which does not include paying customer tabs) by going to the following links:

All that said, an employer may take disciplinary action, including termination, if an employee does not follow workplace policies or rules, so that is something to keep in mind. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Let me know if you do not see the ratings box. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 22nd . For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.