Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

M VEHICLE WAS REPOSSESSED while i was asleep and i thought

Customer Question

M VEHICLE WAS REPOSSESSED while i was asleep and i thought it was stolen then reported it stolen. then 2 weeks later i got a letter stating it had been repossessed. is this legal?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: louisiana and it is ten years ol
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: my deceased fathers golf clubs were in the vehicle along with some other personals but those clubs are priceless in my eyes.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi- my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

It is permissible for a repo company to recover the vehicle from your property as long as he/she/it doesn't breach the peace (which basically means that he would have to enter the property without your knowledge/without your objection).

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

However, in order for the repo company recover the vehicle, the creditor must first follow the proper procedure (pre-repossession notices, etc.). Here's a good link you can read about that: http://www.nationwidereposervices.com/?q=repo-company/louisiana-repossession-laws