Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

She is my step daughter, at age 17 I financed a car in my

Customer Question

she is my step daughter, at age 17 I financed a car in my name,
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: this is in new jersey it is registered and insured in my name, she is a secondary driver. she moved out to live with her biological father, she is 18 now,
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: in new jersey the vehicle most be housed where it is insured
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your legal question for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live in new jersey, I financed a car for my step daughter who was 17 at the time, it is insured and registered in my name, she is now 18 and moved in with her biological father. and refuses to change everything over to her name and will not surrender the car
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the car is 3 years old

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally, a registered and titled owner can take possession of the vehicle at any time, as long as, such repossession is done without disturbance of the peace.

So generally, it is a good idea to hire a licensed repossession company which can in fact repossess the vehicle and turn the vehicle to the possession of the legal titled owner, who in turn can then surrender the vehicle to the auto finance company (as long as, there is enough equity in the vehicle to cover the outstanding auto loan balance) or the owner can keep or sell the vehicle at the owner's discretion.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally, the police department would not forward any information related to the applicants background investigation / application, especially if they are voluntarily disclosed to any third parties and even if they did, it would be highly unlikely that military would take any action based on such report, since there would not be any proof of illegal drug use, other than applicant's word years later.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.