Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I live in as small town with only one convenience

Customer Question

I live in as small town with only one convenience store/coffee shop where everyone goes to have coffee and socialize. Can I sue for management harassing, and embarrassing me siting a store policy the do not enforce on anyone in any of their several locatios
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I didn't know if I would be waisting my time. I can tell you more specific details if that would help
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The real sorce of complaint is coming from my trouble making aunt and uncle due to old fued. Management posted a no loitering sign the said I was loitering by stay longer than one hour even though I was spending money on food and drinks the whole time I was there. When many others will come in and not order anything or one cup of coffee and stay for just as long or longer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but I assume you are asking if you can sue and win.

Private business owners are allowed to exclude anyone that they want to exclude from their location so long as it isn't for an illegal reason like race, age, gender, disability, etc. They are allowed to exclude you based on not liking members of your family, not liking you in particular, etc. They can also selectively enforce their rules and regulations, again so long as it isn't due to an illegal reason like the ones previously discussed.

If you had ordered food and weren't allowed to finish eating it then you could certainly sue for breach of contract since inherently there is an implied contract that you will be allowed to eat any food that you pay for.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.