insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years

The money required Ghanaian citizen to have to carry before

Customer Question

The money required for a Ghanaian citizen to have to carry before the Ghanaian immigration / customs department will allow a citizen of Ghana to leave the country of Ghana... ??)
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Ghana, west Africa The city of Accra .
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, but I have talked to the Ghanaian Embassy in Washington DC. And also to the American immigration department here in the United States...
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I am a 100% service connected disabled American Veteran ( career U.S.Navy ) and I am looking to see if this might be a " SCAM " complete with a proxy marriage certificate from the country of Ghana after this almost 3 years internet relationship...
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Country of Ghana.... West Africa... city of Accra... no U.S. State ...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Be very careful with this. These are generally romance scams. We get at least two or three questions like this on the website per week.

Normally the scam starts with trying to establish a romantic relationship, perhaps just a friendship at first. They also may claim to be a citizen of the UK or US or wherever so that you would not suspect they have any ulterior motive. They pull at your heartstrings by telling stories of hardship or tragedy that they have suffered in their life. At some point they want to come visit. They may ask you to send money for a passport and/or plane ticket. They may tell you that they have money, perhaps even that they are wealthy, but their money is tied up or something like that, perhaps they tie it into a tragedy or something. Then the next step is when they supposedly have the passport and plane ticket, they suddenly come up with this Basic Travel Allowance or (BTA) which is supposedly to show authorities that they have enough money to fund their trip. This is a lie. There is no such thing. They ask you to send that money so they can put it into a bank account to show the authorities. This is just another method to steal money from you. Then the next part of the scam would be when they are supposed to arrive. You wait for them at the airport and they never show up. A few days go by, you get extremely worried, none of your methods of communication work, and then suddenly a "friend" or "relative" of the scammer contacts you to let you know that the scammer has been detained/arrested by authorities for carrying something illegal, I have heard of unregistered gold and they say it would have been a gift for you (perhaps to pay you back for the money you sent). The friend or relative of the scammer then asks for you to send money to bribe or pay fines in order to have the scammer released. From there, I have not heard of how else they are able to get money out of people. Of course there are variations to the scheme, but that's pretty much how it goes.

Here is a link that you can go to for more information:

And here is another link from the government of Ghana:

and another:

and another:

and another from the U.S. Embassy in Moscow:

and one more:

Whatever you do, do NOT send money! Also, just so you know, the U.S. doesn't normally recognize proxy marriages.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Don't send a dime! Unfortunately, this is a scam. Fortunately, you have not sent them any money yet! These facts mirror identically an ongoing scam. There are no facts and circumstances that the Ghana government requires someone in this situation to put up any money. This is simply a group of scam artists operating out of Ghana and Nigeria trying to scam people such as yourself. You'll never see this money again if you send it and there is no beautiful bride, unfortunately.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you this is legitimate, but, I can only provide you information based on the law and my experience so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much...

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.