Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I had an auto accident, and my insurance company: Liberty

Customer Question

I had an auto accident, and my insurance company: Liberty Mutual's Adjuster has been communicating with me. He said that my car: 2006 Mercedes E-350 4matic with 85k miles was a total loss. He offered me to send me a check for the market value of the car: $10,572 according to their valuation method if I send them the Title and any extra keys. The car is all paid for, and I have a free and clear title. They sent me a letter via UPS 2nd Day Air with an instruction letter saying that I have to sign at the back of the title "selling" the car to Liberty Mutual.My title was issued by the State of New Hampshire.They enclosed a return envelope: a UPS 2nd Day Air addressed to an IAA( I believe this is an acronym for Insurance Automobile Auction or something like that) in Schenectady NY. I do not have a check yet from them, and I am a little bit afraid and lost about signing off the title as a "seller," and mailing it to NY. UPS said that if I dropped off the envelope at one of their centers, I could get a mailing receipt, but that wouldn't be any proof of what is in the envelope: the title to my car and the key. Please tell me what I should do in this situation. Thank you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 3 months ago.

This is Samuel. This is Generally how it is done. However, you should have something in writing from your Liberty claims agent that is clear that once the Title is processed you will get the amount of $10,572 in the mail. That would be your agreement and it would be what you would need to ensure you get the money. Once the title is received, Liberty should send you that check via overnight mail.

But review and verify with your Claims Agent

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, would you please opt out of this question?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous one has opted out.
What is your additional question or what further information would you like? Or at least tell us what more you would like to know. Thank you.