Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have a email that says I owe $960 but if I pay now it's

Customer Question

I have a email that says I owe $960 but if I pay now it's only 97. Case# *****
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: I'm in az. It's***@******.*** and the phone is(###) ###-#### ***** looked it up. It's a cell phone in Miami. I can't find a ***** ***** attorney.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: They said I have to pay today. Western Union only
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Why are they saying you owe them money?

The fact that there is no one named Jeffrey or ***** ***** licensed to practice law in either Florida or Arizona is a very, very good reason not to send any money. It's illegal for someone to represent themselves as a licensed attorney when they're not, and it's illegal to practice law without a license. Also, he's using a free Yahoo email address instead of one associated with a law firm, and using a cell phone rather than a landline (having a landline would help at least establish that this person has an office somewhere, but it appears that he doesn't).

The fact that they're demanding money via Western Union is also a huge red flag. Western Union is a very expensive, un-secure way to send money. There's no reason in this day and age to insist upon a Western Union payment when there are must faster and easier ways to send money online that don't cost nearly as much. Also, while there are legitimate uses for Western Union, most lawyers accept checks and credit cards. I don't know any legitimate business that ONLY accepts payment via Western Union. Scam artists love it because it's impossible to get your money back after it's sent, but you should never send anyone money that way unless you know them personally and have spoken on the phone to verify an actual emergency.