insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
17027240

I have received a call today,stating that Ihave won $

Customer Question

I have received a call today,stating that Ihave won $ 850.000 .00 from American Dreams Network. Last year I have sent number of the sweepstake forms with $5 - $ 20 registration fee.Since Ihave received tons of mail, which I after gaining some experience in the matter , I decided was all fraudulent. The call today sounded more convincing. They want me to pay $1,825.00 to buy an insurance,by 6;00 today in order to receive the package with certified check tomorrow from 2;00-4;00. How can I know that it is not a fraud?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iam in WASHINGTON ,DC
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO!
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Please, ask me whatever you think would be relevant in this case, for you to know.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Don't pay them a dime! This is clearly fraudulent. These facts mirror identically an ongoing scam. Here's the thing that will confirm that it's a scam for you. You should never send them any money up front or provide them any information about your bank accounts. If they want you to pay them anything to get your money, it's a scam. If you have won anything, they can deduct any expenses, taxes, fees, etc., from the winnings. if they tell you this is not possible, it's because there is in fact there are no winnings from which to deduct these costs. There are no sets of circumstances where if there is truly something you won that you should have to do anything but receive your money net of any expenses. If they tell you otherwise, all that tells you is that you didn't win and you are being scammed.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you this is legitimate, but, I can only provide you information based on the law and my experience so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I have extended the phone call option to you. You should receive it shortly. I look forward to speaking with you.