Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

In New Jersey I recently bought furniture and after delivery

Customer Question

In New Jersey I recently bought furniture and after delivery I noticed that it was damaged. Went to the store to be told it was sold as is. There is nothing on the receipt that says as is. Is there a law in NJ that states you have to be told or it has to be marked on the reciept
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If there is nothing on the contract of purchase saying it was an as is sale and the furniture was purchased NEW and not floor models, then they are incorrect and thee is no law saying that the sale is as is. If the store will not honor the guarantee to deliver goods in good condition, then you can sue for breach of the warranty of good faith and also for unfair and deceptive practices for selling damaged goods and not sending you new goods you paid for.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where can I find a copy of this law. I intend to take them to small claims court
Thank you for your reply.
There is no statute that says anything about it. These claims are common law claims saying that a new product must be delivered in new condition.