Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

I'm having expensive difficulties getting my sailboat

Customer Question

Good morning
I'm having expensive difficulties getting my sailboat repaired properly with with a Florida marina/ vessel repair facility. Misdiagnoses, poor quality of workmanship, water damage to my vessel while in their care and unresolved problems have all occurred. I'm unable to find online a government department that regulates vessel repair shops to find out what rights I have and what recourse I may have if the shop and I are unable to come to an agreement. Is this industry in Florida unregulated? Are there legal standards for vessel repairs or am I on my own. Any help or direction you could provide will be very much appreciated.
Chet Judd (###) ###-####
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

This type of claim is covered under the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices act, and through common law claims of breach of contract and negligence. You can also report this incident to the various consumer protection agencies in Florida. See this link. The legal standard for vessel repair is going to be determined by another vessel repair expert. This is similar to how courts handle disputes when there is an issue with negligent auto repair. The two sides hire mechanics to come testify under oath as experts in court and the jury decides which mechanic's story it wants to believe. We term this a "battle of the experts" type of case.

Chet, you best bet here is to hire a consumer law attorney to help you since this law allows for you to recover your legal fees if you win. The lawyer should be able to use this law as leverage to extract a quick settlement from the repair shop. Or, you can file a small claims court suit yourself if the damage is under 5k.