Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

Recently had some damage to our roof and filed a claim with

Customer Question

Recently had some damage to our roof and filed a claim with our insurance company. They were out there and had a contractor tarp the roof, but said, before they could get up there, we had to sign a work order authorizing them to do so.
The tarping is done and we will ensure they get paid for the tarping work, but, we would prefer to use a different company to complete the rest of the job.
Do we have any further obligation to the repair company or
The full agreement is included below.
l/(We) , hereby authorize ******* ******** ******** to repair(s) damages incurred at:
XXXXXXXX will prepare an estimate for the damages, and secure an agreement with our insurance carrier. All hidden or latent damages found in the course of repairs and related to the cause of the loss will be supplemented to our insurance carrier and amended to the original estimate of repairs.
The undersigned authorizes their insurance carrier and/ or mortgage company to include , as a payee on any and all building checks issued for the above referenced claim.
ABOVE TERMS ARE MUTUAL UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED UPON:
(Homeowner) (Date)
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you signed a contract agreeing to allow them to do the work, then if you changed you mind, legally you would be in breach of the contract.

.

However if the roofing company has incurred no damages due to your breach and you pay them for any work they have performed, then they wouldn't be able to recover anything if they sued you. Since they are likely incorporated, they would have to hire an attorney for a couple thousand to sue you and prove damages.

.

So while technically you would be in the wrong here, it is unlikely that they would do anything about it.

.

.

thansk