Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I've leased a car through Breeze( a company that gives

Customer Question

I've leased a car through Breeze( a company that gives cars so one might be able to drive for companies like Uber and Lyft. They advertise returning the vehicle at anytime with 2 week notice. I've been attempting to return the vehicle since January with no avail answer from the company. Recently I did a stop payment almost a month or two ago since they neglected to instruct me on what to do after I contacted them countless times throughout every month.That got there attention and now they're threatening to put a repo on my credit if I don't do the following.
1. Resolve backpayments
2. Pay late fee's
3. Pay to tow the vehicle from my location to there shop then to there business in Los Angeles (They deactivated it so it will not drive)I have kept all my emails in regards ***** ***** responses of receiving my inquiries with no answer from them since January. I've called countless times to be told someone will email me back. I paid for months before being fed up.They told me wher eto return the car in June, but Stop Payment was already in effect for a month considering I gave them since January. I feel I shouldn't have to pay anything past this point since they didn't provide what was advertised. "Return anytime with 2 week notice" It's been a 6 month gamble with them.Now this car is not only blocking entry to half my driveway, but access to my backyard from the side gate and has been blocking my car in the garage for months. What are my options do I have a case?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they breached the contract with you to allow you to cancel with 2 weeks notice and return the car, then you have grounds here to refuse to pay them upon proof of your notice to them that you wanted to cancel. You also need to send them a letter in response attaching proof of your notice to them and informing them that they are not only in breach of contract, but also have committed an unfair and deceptive business practice by providing the 2 week notice cancellation and then refusing to respond when you tried to use it. You would need to tell them that if they refuse to simply take the car back in accordance with the terms of the contract (if the contract says you have to pay for towing you have to pay that still) then you will file a complaint to the CA Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit for unfair and deceptive practices and will pursue legal action for up to triple damages plus attorney's fees against them for their unfair practices and breach of contract.
If they still refuse, file your complaint with the Attorney General first and if they cannot resolve the matter, then you need to sue them for breach and unfair and deceptive practices.