CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

Our vehicle was repossessed and we retrieved it the next day

Customer Question

Our vehicle was repossessed and we retrieved it the next day paying close to $1,000 to get it back after the car was taken i had given a bad review on how the handling of that particular situation was. We had agreed to finish paying off the car within 30 days. A couple days later they contacted us and said if we did not have a payment by the end of the day and posted a good review they would come get the car again. Now i did read the back of the contract where it explains the security interest would be forfeited if they took possession of the car and after the fact accepted any money from the debtor. Now with the blackmail and them being forceful I believe something is very wrong and i want to know if there is something i can do about this.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Without reading your contract or all of the details of your subsequent agreement, I cannot tell you the specifics of your rights.

However, what I can infer from what you have posted, is that this business is likely violating multiple OK statutes with regards ***** ***** the business and professions code, and related acts.

The easiest (and least expensive) mechanism for you to deal with this is to simply file a complaint with the Oklahoma Attorney General's Office (this kind of conduct needs to be addressed by the state's law enforcement officers, they can take administrative and/or criminal enforcement action against businesses that do this kind of thing).

You can file a complaint quickly and easily here: https://www.oag.ok.gov/oagweb.nsf/ccomp.html

To deal with the business, it is probably easiest to do so in writing - send them a letter reminding them of both the series of events that led up to the repossession, and the terms of your agreement (you have 30 days to repay).

You can also include in it details of the subsequent phone call(s) where they made additional demands on you.

(This is called a "confirmation letter" - but it helps to document your side of the story/contract and can protect you).