CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I bought a used car yesterday and realized that when I

Customer Question

i bought a used car yesterday and realized that when I gothome the odometer was the exact same as when I left the car lot. Mind you, it was atleast a 20mile drive back to my home from the lot. Is there any consumer protection laws or anything that would help me get my money back from the dealer?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.

Dear Customer,

The dealer is potentially violating multiple Oregon Civil Code Sections.

Those sections are: making a false application for a vehicle registration, ORS 803.375; falsely swearing to a fact in registering a vehicle, ORS 803.385; selling a device that causes a false odometer reading, ORS 815.410; repairing an odometer without meeting the requirements of law, ORS 815.415; removing an odometer repair notice, ORS 815.420; failing to submit an odometer disclosure to DMV, ORS 815.425; and knowingly submitting false information on an odometer disclosure, ORS 815.430

You can contact the dealer ask to void the sale (where you do not incur ANY costs), you can report the dealer to the Oregon Attorney General's Office, or you can try to negotiate some other resolution to your satisfaction with the dealer.