Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.

The american sweeptake call me today say I won some money,

Customer Question

the american sweeptake call me today say I won some money
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when exactly were you notified?
Customer: Mo.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: the lady gave me a claim code
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to tell you that this is a scam, and it's one we hear all the time.

If you go forward with this, they are going to ask you for money. Do not send them any money. Do not speak to them any further.

Scammers want you to believe that you can be picked out of thin air and become a contest winner. You can't. You must always enter a contest to win it.

Lottery winners are paid out of the proceeds of lottery tickets. If you don't buy your ticket you can't win, and you must present a valid ticket to claim your winnings. US lottery tickets cannot be sold on line. It's against Federal law. You must buy them in person from agents at specially designated locations.

Sweepstakes winners must complete an entry form and sign up for the contest. Sweepstakes also require you to submit your half of the entry form as proof before you can claim your prize. Your half of the form matches the information the company has on the other half.

Finally, when you win a real contest, the money already belongs to you. So you NEVER have to pay anything up front to receive something that's already yours. In any legitimate contest, if there were indeed any transfer expenses, the contest would simply deduct it from your money which they already have and just give you a check for the rest. But with a scam contest, if you notify them, they will ask for money up front for taxes, insurance, courier or transfer fees, or they will give you a partial check and ask you to deposit it and use the money to pay a third party. There's no need for any of that.

The up front fee is the #1 sign of a contest scam.

There are many, many scam reports on the web about American Sweepstakes. You can see some of them here. So don't fall for it.

I hope you haven't sent off any money to these thieves. If you have paid these folks anything, consider it gone and consider yourself the victim of a crime. If you can find out who these people really are and where, you can sue them or seek to have them prosecuted, but finding them will be a job for law enforcement or a private investigator.

Since they claim to be a US contest, report them to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at, whether you've sent them money or not .

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.