Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I just settle my divorce case with my ex- husband. He was

Customer Question

Hello, I just settle my divorce case with my ex- husband. He was supposed to deposited $10,000 in my account with 24hour of the settlement. I have been making payment toward my lawyer fees. When I received the MOJ in the mail its states that the settlement check need to made out to my attorney instead of me. It's written in fine print on the side of the check.
JA: Has anything been filed in court yet?
Customer: yes, June 16, 2015, however I have not received any funds yet?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, his assistance stated that they are waiting for my ex to send the funds?
JA: What advice did they give you? Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Nothing to wait
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What question do you have?

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
IHello, I just settle my divorce case with my ex- husband. He was supposed to deposited $10,000 in my account with 24hour of the settlement. I have been making payment toward my lawyer fees. When I received the MOJ in the mail its states that the settlement check need to made out to my attorneyinstead of me. It's written in fine print on the side of the check.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can my attorney get my equitable distribution check in his name? I did not see it in the fine print until the MOJ was sent out to me.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Well, did the decree state that your husband was to deposit 10K into you account in 24 hours, or did it hold that he was to submit payment of $10,000 to your attorney?

You keep referring to fine print. I presume that you are speaking metaphorically and not factually? Fine print is not appropriate for a legal document in a divorce proceeding.