Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  Practice of law for 20 years

My wife and I bought a 2011 Ford F150. The truck had 94,000

Customer Question

My wife and I bought a 2011 Ford F150. The truck had 94,000 miles on it. When we bought it we heard a ticking sound coming from the engine area, the sales man said that's normal, all fords do that. He also said they provide a engine warranty with all their cars and trucks they sale. So we bought the truck, with the warranty. First thing we did when we got the truck home was get the oil changed at the local ford dealership. 800 miles later the engine expires, and we had to have it towed. I took it to the dealership with the warranty papers to see what our options are. they contacted the warranty company who had no record of us having a warranty on the engine. The place were we bought it never processed the paper work. So I faxed the warranty company the contract to get it processed. A few days later the dealership calls and says that a rep from the warranty company is coming to look at the engine to see if they will replace it. Then the dealership calls back and says the warranty company rescinded the appointment to come out and look at the engine, instead they wanted the dealership to call me and to get me to authorize 3 hours of labor to open the engine up so the rep could see the damage to the engine. So on 7/5/2016 I stopped by the dealership to talk to the service writer and to see if I could see the engine. He informed me that the warranty rep will be here in 24 to 48 hours to look at the engine to make a determination if they would approve a new engine or deny based on the fact that it was pre-existing damage. How would we precede of in fact its denied?
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, we have not
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: that's the whole story. And I cant thing of anything else at the moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 3 months ago.

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this matter. You have a warranty that covers the engine. I suggest you need to allow Ford to try to fix it and if not then they need to replace it under the warranty. If they do not, then I suggest you can begin by filing a consumer complaint with the Attorney General in the state where you bought the car.

What state is it and I can get you that contact information?

If it is pre existing damage, then the dealership is responsible. And in that case, you should try to negotiate with the dealership to have them replace the engine, as it was sold with the warranty. In no case, regardless of who assumes liability, should you be paying for a new engine.

If the dealer will not negotiate and take the liability, then you will want to consult with a local attorney to bring a lawsuit against the dealership for breach of the warranty.