Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

My car was stolen and burned. The police still have the

Customer Question

My car was stolen and burned. The police still have the vehicle and I have not filed a claim. I want to take it off my insurance because I won't be driving it. Will I still be able to file a claim when it is released?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Wisconsin. The car is a 2009 Mercedes.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Only after they asked me some weird questions. They haven't bothered me since then.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not really. I have been waiting until they finish the investigation and release the car to file my claim. I don't need it on my insurance if Im not driving it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

As a general rule you would still be able to file a claim after the policy is cancelled since the car was covered at the time it was damaged. However, what I'd suggest is going ahead and filing the claim and then asking them to remove it from coverage as soon as they process the claim (not pay the claim, just process the claim). That prevents any issues with them not being able to find the car on their policy, etc. Insurance companies will delay payments for as long as they can because they get to draw interest on the money while the claim remains unpaid and so they stall as much as possible.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.